Monday, 19 November 2012

Photoshoot Idea

Today after college I went to the town centre and bought the game 'Jenga', a stack of wooden blocks that you have to pull out whilst trying not to let the tower fall over. I like the idea of using this wooden block tower as a metaphor of Ramsay's life in the video, being that the tower block can represent his life and can easier fall over and 'fall apart', explaining how he feels without Grace in his life. I think this is an interesting way of interpreting his situation. The simplest past time family game can highlight Ramsay's feelings, showing that in life you build things and then sometimes something can happen and when it is near enough perfect everything can go wrong and it can knock you back down again.

One issue I have with this idea however is that my audience may not understand why I have used a wooden tower block game as the front image on my digipak. The only way I can think of making this clearer is by including footage of Ramsay actually playing the game in the music video, so that people will see a connection with the video and its album cover. I have decided that I will do this while doing my digipak photoshoot the upcoming Wednesday.

From doing some research on digipak album covers, I've noticed that a lot of the albums categorised under the 'indie', or alternative rock, genre do not always the most eye catching images. Depending on the artist, some like to keep it more simple to provoke thought and allow their audience to interpret the album in their own way. 

This style of simple album cover includes some of the following:
Rolling Stones - Sticky Jeans

XX - X
Arctic Monkeys - Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

However, in other genres, such as Pop, the artist is almost always present on the front of the album creating a 'star image' and being an icon for its fans. For example, pop artist Prince uses an image of himself on his album covers: 

No comments:

Post a Comment