Sunday, 23 September 2012

Interesting Music Videos



The reason why I think this music video is so interesting is because it has no link to the lyrics, it is completely random and spontaneous yet the whole concept of what they have done is really creative. It is very time consuming and difficult to apply this kind of idea to my video as I would need professional help to convey this plan and it would take months but I enjoy watching it. Their idea for this music video makes it very unique and recognisable and a topic to talk about.




I particularly like this music video - it is one of my favourites. I love the way the colours and pace of the video reflect the mood and lyrics. I could maybe add this idea to my own music video, using colours as a way of portraying a certain mood: brighter colours for more positive points in the song and black and white dull colours for the slower, more thought-provoking points. I could also use the same idea with the pace, using fast and slow paced editing by adjusting the speed percentages on Final Cut. This whole video is very eerie and sad yet interesting at the same time.




The context of this video very much reflects the visuals. What you hear is what you see on the screen. The main man walking down the street has a careless, rude and mindless attitude which could conclude to many people disliking his character, yet if you listen to the lyrics it may make you think about why he is acting in that way. I like the way the video is pretty much an entire continuity shot, it has no variety of shots or edits, yet it says so much  just by staying as it is.
 This proves that although for my music video I need to meet certain criteria and demonstrate a variety of different shots and editing techniques, I do not always need to show my footage in lots of different ways to prove a point, it can just be left as it is to prove a point.



This video is also interesting in terms of mise-en-scene. The facial expressions of the people match the beat of the song, despite it being very fast paced and the shots being in slow motion. The colours are also interesting. It makes me think back to the Street Spirit video and why they have particularly decided to use black and white over colour. The black and white links in with the smoke from the cigarette.




The Thought Beats are very clear in this music video - everytime there is a clear lyric the shot changes on screen and matches the pace of the song. Although my song that I am choosing has elements of fast paced as well as slow paced motions, I still want to try and match the beat just like in this video, except not at every moment. This is because my song is meant to be sad and thought provoking, and by adding too many thought beats it may change the overall mood and become confusing to my target audience.




I like how this video demonstrates its lyrics on screen, yet if I chose to include this technique in my video I think it would make it too cheesy and 'pop' like, subverting my chosen genre of indie/alternative rock. However its quite interesting how Metronomy have chosen this technique for their video as they are an indie/electonica genre, but like to keep their videos unique. I also like the effect they have with the old TV screen.




Similar to Bittersweet Symphony, I like the way this video is highly edited, yet uses one continuity shot to show the changes over time. The 'space' background definitely adds to this effect and don't think it would have had such an impact if they had deicded to use a plain white background over a black one with stars. The colours used on the objects floating past reflect the era - Some have a retro vintage tint on them to make them look more dated. Also, this supports the idea that indie music videos aren't always relevant - this one is quite random, a lot like the Cough Cough video, which means my video doesn't always have to focus on a certain narrative, it can be fragmented. I like the way the video is also shown in a chronological order - it shows the objects of childhood in a particular order to show how we grow up and grow out of toys and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment