I also like this editing technique, which I have seen in a number of other videos. Sometimes artists make their music videos seem like a short film, and use text at the beginning of the film to make it seem more realistic. This especially seems to help when music videos have a strong narrative to them, as they are telling a story just like a film does. This has been taken from the music video to Talk Through The Night by Dog is Dead. The lines on the edit give it that 'old film' vintage effect.
Although this video shows all its band members, which is something I do not really want to do, I like the way the band members are slowly revealed through a backward dolly track through a corridor in a fancy suite. The first band member plays the drums, then the guitarists. I think the way the band is
revealed creates a hype for the audience and the way they are all positioned makes the video look interesting and well thought out.
The video for 'How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep?' by Bombay Bicycle Club is an animation throughout. I do not plan to use any animation in my video, however I do like the editing technique in this shot how the mobile shows the song title. It is especially clever how the videos the theme of sleep, which is shown in the title. The idea of 'swallowing so much sleep' links to dreams, which is what this video is about - space and psychedelic happenings in the man's dream.
Islands by The XX is personally one of my favourite music videos, as I find the choreography and the planning of the video really interesting. I love the way the scene is repeated yet changing ever so slightly every time to represent the relationship and meaning of the song. The actors and actresses leave the set and become less enthusiastic about their dancing, making the overall mood of the song change from the beginning to end. The repetitive 'X' also promotes the band and its instantly recognisable logo.



No comments:
Post a Comment